Friday, March 20, 2015

ARE YOU HIRING?

By day, I am a Human Resources Director.  I love my job.  Great company.  Great people.  I want to preface this post by saying these are things I have observed over the years.  None of these are about current employees.  So to all my coworkers who are reading this (none of them are):  you are in the clear.  I won't write about you until you leave us!

THE APPLICATION PROCESS IS HALF THE BATTLE...

If you're going to drop off a resume with a potential employer, please dress appropriately.  If you're walking in with dirty hair, no makeup (remember too much makeup can be even worse!), and blue jeans to drop off your resume, you might as well take that resume, wad it up, and throw it out the window.  Because that's what I plan to do with it.  Only I'll throw it in the trash.  I don't litter.

Spelling.  C'mon people.  For the love of God, please proof read your resumes.  If you don't know anyone who can proofread for you, take it to the library.  People there usually know how to read. You'd be surprised how many people would be willing to help you!  If I get a resume with a spelling error, it automatically goes in the "NO" pile.  If you're not taking the time to double check something that could potentially impact YOUR ENTIRE LIFE then you're probably not going to double check your work either...which is a big problem.

Don't have someone that doesn't even know you call your potential employer to put in a good word for you.  I seriously had someone call to recommend someone and they said:  "I don't know her personally but I know her momma and daddy and they are both fine people.  I'm sure they raised her right."  Listen folks, this is true in many cases (my parents and me, for instance) but it's not true all the time.  I know plenty of "fine mommas and daddies" who have raised pure heathens.  They may think they're child is the best, but to everyone else, they are actually spawns of Satan himself.  And then there are some of those fine parents who know their child sucks.  I appreciate that they can admit that.

Speaking of your mother...don't make her call your potential employer.  Don't make her email/mail your resume for you.  Email addresses are free.  Get one.  Adults have their own email address.  If I have any correspondence with you mother, that is only making one thing certain:  YOU WILL NOT GET THE JOB.

That's enough for now.  But there's plenty more to come!!

No comments:

Post a Comment